Thursday, August 5, 2010

You mean I can't just vacuum?

Keeping house, Housekeeping whatever you want to call it. I think this might be a problem. How often are you supposed to clean the bathrooms? Do you dust once a week or more often? I vacuum when the dog hair piles up in the corners, but is that enough. I know that this post is going to embarrass my wife, because I am not a very good housekeeper.

I have a theory. Everyone hates cleaning, especially parents of small children. So my theory is that people either hire a cleaning person or service, or they only really clean when they know people are coming over. Of course, that could just be me. Okay I do clean the house in sections. One day I will do the upstairs--two bedrooms and bathrooms, but I usually only get to one bathroom, because I can't stand the idea of cleaning another shower. And then I feel pretty good about myself and wait a few days before cleaning the downstairs--kitchen and living room, but the mopping of the kitchen floor puts me over the top so I skip vacuuming the stairs (we have a lot of stairs, its a townhouse--small and vertical). Then a few days later I do the stairs and by then my wife comes home from work and complains about how dirty the bathrooms are.

"Are you kidding me? I just cleaned them."
"When did you clean them last?"
"Well, I did the stairs today, the kitchen two days ago... Its been about a week I guess." About a week translates into more like a week and a half, sorry Honey.
"That is gross. Bathrooms need to be cleaned at least every four days."
"Thats impossible. Nobody cleans their bathrooms every four days."
"My family does."
"Of course they do."

Every four days? I am happy about the choice we made for me to stay home with the girls, but of all the crappy things a stay at home parent has to do, I think the absolute worst must be to clean the bathrooms every four days. Okay, it might be a tie with doing dishes twice a day, but they both suck. I find it hard to believe that with all the technological advancements that we haven't invented a way of automatically cleaning a bathroom. I think we should just make everything in the bathroom waterproof and seal the door and have a system that cleans the whole room like a dishwasher or something. Just close the door and push a button and everything gets shiny clean and sanitary. Until then, my wife may have to settle for once a week or when people come over.

No comments:

Post a Comment